Sunday, March 23, 2014

Small Achievements, Big Results


One of the DBT skills that helps to regulate emotions is called “Building Mastery.” The idea is to pick an activity or endeavor and achieve it.  When I do that, I feel more competent and strong and less powerless and fearful.
So from time to time, I challenge myself to try something I haven’t done before. But I don’t set the bar too high. That way, I’m more inclined to be successful and to enjoy the process, not just the achievement.
Looking back over my diary cards, here are some new things I did in the past six months:

Took balloons to kids at a new
local homeless shelter

Made and ate kale “chips”

 Made my own inexpensive laundry soap with Borax™, washing soda, and Zote™

Restored a vintage train set with Fred

Applied online for a copyright from the U.S. Copyright Office

Went to a new state park and climbed on a rock

Learned the rules of Cub Scout Pinewood Derby

Started a blog

Today, I decided to try my hand at a Pinterest idea for making artificial pussy willow branches to use as spring decorations. Outside, Fred did a double-take as I stood picking through a huge pile of hundreds of branches that had fallen into our yard during the last ice storm. Later, he wandered into the kitchen where I sat cutting the cotton ends off Q-tips™ (to use as the catkins.) When I asked him to search on his phone for an internet photo of pussy willows I could use as a reference, he wrinkled his forehead.

 “Okay, I give up,” he said. “What are you doing?”

 I explained. He stared at the heap of headless Q-tips on the counter and shook his head.

  “Honey,” he said. “Why don’t you just go buy some fake branches at the craft store?”

 “Because,” I answered. “I’m giving my brain a new experience. Creating new connections. Re-wiring, you know?”

He smiled, picked up the scissors, and started cutting up Q-tips. “Good job,” he said.

No comments:

Post a Comment