Thursday, February 20, 2014

DBT and Religion


If you’ve already completed the six-month Dialectical Behavioral Therapy group therapy sessions, you’ve most likely encountered a common question many people ask about the program—that is, since Marsha Lenehan, the founder of DBT, practiced Buddhism, are these concepts compatible with my own personal beliefs? I was equally inquisitive when I started the program.

To be more truthful,” inquisitive” isn’t the right word. I was downright spooked.  I’m a Protestant Christian. One of the therapists is Jewish.  A class member casually mentioned one day that she practices Wicca. Another person stated she is a Yoga enthusiast. And the hospital conducting the classes is an agency of a nearby Conference of the Mennonite Church. Philosophies from an ancient Eastern religion? Uh oh, I thought. How is this going to work?

But here’s what I discovered. Some DBT skills and techniques do indeed echo teachings shared by many world religions and philosophies, but not specifically Buddhism. For example, concepts of forgiveness, compassion toward oneself and others, non-judgmentalism, and letting go of what we cannot control are part of many belief systems both religious and secular.  In a year and a half, I've encountered nothing in DBT teachings which involve religious associations. Nor have I come across anything intended to help me grow spiritually.

As a side note, though, I’ve personally found that mindfully focusing and quieting my thoughts in church does enable me to pay closer attention to the teachings, worship, and prayer because I’m not as distracted or judgmental. And from that point of view, I’m guessing people of different faiths and beliefs might be experiencing the same improved focus in their spiritual journeys. I don’t know.

But here is what I do know. I’ve not found that attaining nirvana, heaven, or any other religious destination is the intent of this psychological technique. However, creating a life worth living with greater clarity, less struggling, and a calmer mind is most definitely a desired outcome. For that, I am grateful.

No comments:

Post a Comment